HOME BASED SMALL SCALE BUSINESS SCHEME
The Home Based Small Scale Business Scheme by HDB and URA allows residents to carry out activities in their HDB and private residential premises to supplement their income. Under this scheme, residents can prepare small quantities of food for sale to their friends and relatives without turning their residences into a commercial outlet. A licence is not required from NEA. Nonetheless, residents preparing food under the scheme can refer to these guidelines on good hygiene tips to adopt.
Good Food Hygiene Tips for residents preparing food under HDB/URA’s home-based
small scale business scheme
• The food prepared should be for friends and family only. Food should not be sold to
retail food outlets.
• All food preparation activities should be confined to the kitchen. Food should not be
prepared or stored in any other room including bedrooms and living rooms.
• Do not keep any pets (such as dogs, cats, etc.) that can roam freely in the house.
• Children and infants should not be allowed in the kitchen area during food
• Do moderate your incoming orders and avoid taking orders of large quantity
• No commercial-grade cooking equipment should be installed. If you need more and
bigger equipment to accommodate to a larger number of clients, you should shift to a
proper food premises to operate.